Staying at Home
If home is where you want to be, it’s essential that you and your carers have as much support as possible. Caring can be hard work, both physically and emotionally. It’s not always easy to ask for help, and many people find it impossible. However, it’s important that your carers save enough energy to do the things that only they can do, such as spending time talking to you and supporting you. They can pass on some jobs to other people, where possible.
District Nurses carry out many roles for housebound patients, including:
- General nursing procedures and investigations
- Post-surgery care
- Assessment of patients’ needs
- Care for terminally ill patients
- Loaning of equipment
- Looking after wounds and leg ulcers
- Educating patients about self-care
Referrals can be made by a Doctor or nurse at the practice, patients themselves or by carers and family members.